Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nature Books for Toddlers and Preschoolers




I mentioned last week that I made a few improvements to our nature books...I was planning a nature walk with my Joy School group and wanted to do nature books for our six kids. I knew that it wouldn't be realistic to stop and help each child tape his/her treasure onto a page every five minutes, so I came up with this idea:

Photobucket



Materials:
two sheets of construction paper
6-8 sandwich size ziplock bags
stapler
finger paint or markers
 
Step One: Place a ziplock bag onto both sheets of construction paper and trace around the bag, leaving 1/2 inch on all sides. Cut out your two squares of paper (these will be the "jacket" for your nature book). Carefully place your 6-8 ziplock bags in between the sheets of paper, leaving the zipper side facing out for the kids to open easily. Staple along the "binding" of your book four or five times to secure the bags together with your construction paper on either side.

Photobucket
Step Two: I gave each of my students a paper plate with finger paint to decorate their nature books. We tried our best to make a tree by painting one hand brown, stamping it onto the paper for the tree trunk, and creating leaves with our fingers. But then they took off from their with their own creativity!
Photobucket

Photobucket
We headed off to a nearby park with trails (I LOVE Ogden) and I reminded my kids to keep their eyes open for a treasure to put in their nature books.
Photobucket

Photobucket
It didn't take long before each bag was full of seed pods, moss, rocks, leaves, sticks, and flower petals.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Pin It  
It made my job a LOT easier without having to use tape. I still had to help them open and close their ziplock bags, but it was quick and easy.
Photobucket

Photobucket
We ended our nature walk with some great books about the fall:
Photobucket
*Leaf Jumpers is a great one that helps you identify the different types of leaves that are falling.
What beautiful weather we're having!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

Post a Comment