Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Preschooler Activities for Easter: Alpha and OmEGGa

For our activity time today, I wanted to put a new twist on dying eggs. This activity helps your preschooler practice matching their upper-case and lower-case letters. I highly suggest combining forces with a friend since you're dealing with dye and fragile boiled eggs. Even with my mom's help, we still ended up with tie-dyed hands and a smashed letter "I" egg. I think this activity is best for 3 and up.



Materials:



26 eggs



egg cartons



black marker



wax or white crayon



1 egg coloring kit

Step One: Boil 26 eggs and set them out to dry. Write each letter of the alphabet in lower case on the bottom of the egg cartons.
Photobucket
Step Two:
Use your crayon to write each letter of the alphabet in upper-case onto the boiled eggs. Have your preschooler write as many as they can on their own. I had my 3 year old write them on one side and I wrote the letter again on the opposite side of the egg just to make sure we could identify the letter once the egg was dyed.
(This is the crayon that came in our egg dying kit. I believe my mom bought it at Walmart.)



Photobucket





Photobucket





Photobucket





Step Three:
Dye your eggs! Best of luck to you during this part, my friend. My kids were naked.




Photobucket


Step Four:
Allow the colored eggs to dry. If any of the letters were illegible, I wrote over them with a marker. Then I placed all 26 eggs into a basket and told my preschooler that the Easter bunny needs her help to find the right spot for all those eggs. Then she had to pull out the upper-case letter eggs one by one and find the coresponding lower-case letter spot in the egg carton. Whenever she couldn't find a letter, we'd sing the alphabet song, pointing to the letters as we sang. On the unfamiliar lower-case letters, we talk about the shape of the letter and how it's similar to or different than the upper-case letter.



Photobucket





Photobucket





Photobucket





Photobucket





Have fun with this one! You could do numbers, shapes, or whatever you're needing to teach your little ones.








Tomorrow we're making little love birds for an Easter service project, so check back.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

Post a Comment