Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Book List for Spring Cleaning

For those of you who actually do "spring cleaning," I bow to you AND I have a list of really good reads for you to listen to while you clean. Do you use Audible?? It's brought my reading game back to life after years of just not having time to read a real book, sitting down. I listen to books while I do the dishes, while I fold laundry, tidy up, etc. etc. I even took a bath this morning instead of a shower, just so I could squeeze out another chapter before I got to business.

So here's the list. These are mostly fiction and recent reads in my queue on Audible. I will do a separate post on my favorite non-fiction, which is mostly parenting books...

1. Kate Morton.
I read them all in a matter of weeks. Her diction is inspiring and would give me a running list of words to look up and try to start using during the day...those few times I converse with adults. Her characters are real and intriguing and stay with you. Her plots keep you hanging on until the very end. I would start with the Secret Keeper, then read the Lake House. Your house will sparkle once you get your hands on these books.

2. Sue Monk Kidd
Sue Monk Kidd's writing fills me up. There are times I have to pause and just let the words sink in, they are so so good. The Invention of Wings is a historical fiction about two sisters and their pioneering roles in the abolition and women's rights movements. AND the narrator on Audible is phenomenal. The main character, Sarah, has a stutter, and it is read so perfectly. It moved me.

 And just in case you haven't read it, Secret Life of Bees is her masterpiece, in my opinion. She's just an author you can trust. She will take you on a journey every time.

3. A Thousand Miles to Freedom
See, sometimes I read non-fiction. I love Eunsun's voice, her strength, her optimism and honesty. Her story should be read by all.

4.

I didn't love it in the beginning, but then I got drawn right in. You will soon see that I am always drawn in to World Ward II historical fiction. Gets me every time.

5. All the Light We Cannot See
You've probably heard of this one because it's a must read. I will admit, I had to start it twice because it took a while to get into, but once you're in the water, this one will change you. His writing is incredible--a whole different level. Absolutely magnificent.

6. Girl on the Train
Wow. This was my first "thriller"-- like, ever. There's the F word a bit and other stuff that's not for the faint-hearted, but it kept me guessing the entire time. I have yet to find another like it, because most thrillers like this tend to have sex or other inappropriate schtuff in it too. 
But I still recommend this one.

7. The Kitchen House
Also not for the light-hearted but WOW. I loved it. I haven't read her second book yet, which is a sequel to this one. Great character development.

8. America's First Daughter
LOVED this book. I loved learning more about Thomas Jefferson and his family. The two female authors draw almost all of their material from letters that Jefferson wrote, practically every day of his life. It's beautiful.

9. From Sand and Ash
This book was romantic, historically accurate and informative, and the narration is like a drug (makes me wish I was Italian). It's about a jewish woman who falls in love with a Catholic Priest. 
Love, family, loyalty, humanity. It's all here.
However, I was SO embarrassed when I went to see what other books Amy Harmon has written--because really her writing was so good--and saw that she's pretty much a romance novelist. My husband could not stop laughing at me when I read one of her first novels out loud: 
Prom Night in Purgatory. 
WHAT?

10. Elizabeth Smart: My Story
This sure isn't an easy one to read, but there was an underlying strength and power throughout the entire story that left me feeling so inspired. She is such an example of optimism and courage.

Ok, now YOUR turn. Send me some good reads!!

SaveSave
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

Post a Comment