Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Giving Thanks

Gratitude Door

This year, I wanted to set up some ways to remind us of all that we have to be grateful for, and how we can share what we have with others. We are trying to center our family "mission statement" around one of my favorite hymns:

"Because I have been given much, I too must give."

(I love the print of this quote by the Caravan Shoppe HERE).

That said, I decided to pick up some pictures from Deseret Book of the Savior, the prophet, the temple, etc. I developed some recent family photos and put out some magazines where they could cut out pictures of things they're grateful for. We set everything out on the floor and started choosing our favorites and taped them to our front door, where we could see it every time we come and go.

 I had the "G-I-V-E" letters from last year. I was pretty sure we had "Give Thanks" but turns out I actually just had TWO "Gives." It works.
 This picture may not show it, but we had a lot of fun looking through the family photos. Edison got so excited when he saw a picture of himself on his bike. And Charlotte wanted to keep a picture of Jane for her room. (We had to keep all the photos up high so Jane couldn't reach.)


Turkey Tablecloth
 We're starting a new tradition. I bought a white canvas tablecloth at Target and a pack of fabric markers...
 We're calling it our "Turkey Tablecloth." Charlotte had this idea that we could trace our hands to make turkeys and Hazel said we could write what we're grateful for inside the turkey.
I love it when my kids have ideas. Especially when they involve their little hands.
 The idea is that we will add a hand each year with five things we're most grateful for that year.
 Some of us are still brainstorming.


 I really love the legs on Ellie's turkey.
 I like the idea of writing down what we're grateful for every year, but I also like the idea of being able to keep it and look back at it every year that follows. I hope this works and one day I'll have a tablecloth FILLED with growing hands and words of gratitude.


Here is Hazel's completed list for this year.  I love that she's grateful for food.
And Charlotte's list: Water, house, world, food, and family.

Also, check out my other Thanksgiving ideas here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

Post a Comment