Friday, March 29, 2013

The Real Meaning of Easter: The Empty Tomb

As far as our preparations for the real meaning of Easter, we've been doing a small "devotional" each night during this week leading up to Easter. I really enjoyed Saren Loosli's article on Power of Moms titled, A Deliberate Mother's Guide to a Christ-Centered Easter. I've followed most of her suggestions, simplifying where needed so that it's age appropriate for my kids. We've read about Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem, his miracles and acts of love, the last supper, Gethsemane, and today we read about his death and burial. We've ended each devotional by watching a short clip from Bible videos such as The Lamb of God and Finding Faith in Christ. 

It has brought such a spirit into our home as we've studied our Savior and talked about why He did what He did. My testimony has been strengthened tremendously this Easter and I've seen how a little bit of effort to turn our hearts to the Savior brings great dividends.
Of course our children aren't still or quiet while we read the scriptures and try to teach them about the life and Atonement of the Savior. But they are listening. I know this because on Thursday night we were setting the table quietly with lit candles, preparing to talk about the Last Supper. I put my oldest, Hazel, in charge of napkins and when I sat down, I saw this. She told me it was Christ's empty tomb.
I tucked mine away in my journal as a sweet reminder of this five-year old's understanding that Easter is more than bunnies and candy eggs.

Hope your weekend is special and fun and most of all, meaningful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

Post a Comment