Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Our Family Economy

As soon I as finished the Morning Order charts for my two and four year old, my two older daughters told me that they wanted the same for them. They were asking me for a new chore chart. How could I resist? We had used a great system for about two and half years and it had lost it's luster. We had recently switched to a worksheet where they would check off their daily tasks at the end of the day but I kept forgetting to print off a new one at the beginning of the week and it wasn't doing the job. So I was ready to try something that they were excited about. And all it takes is a file folder, markers, and scissors!

(I've started a terrible habit of taking my pics for these posts late at night, so again, sorry for the bad lighting...)
We had decided as a family two years back what their "daily tasks" should be. We made one small change this year to work better with our routine, but they work well for us. Here they are:
1. Morning Order
2. Practice Violin
3. Homework & 20 min Reading
4. Bedtime Order
*Extra*
They get paid .25 cents for doing each task without being nagged, giving them the opportunity to earn at least $6 a week. If they whine or complain about it, they won't get paid, but in the end, they still have to do it to have the privileges they want. They can do as many extra chores as they desire! We also challenge them to memorize an Article of Faith for their "extra" task. For additional motivation, we allow them to earn the "extra" task by merely completing all four daily tasks, as a bonus. 

In my book, you can never have enough incentives with this chore chart stuff. 

 We have a calendar hung above the charts where they record their earnings at the end of the day. I have them write their first initial, followed by the number of tasks they completed. 
  

 Today is day two with our new charts. Charlotte asked to do some extra tasks before dinner, which was new and a little thrilling...
   
 When it comes to your family economy, I think the most important thing to remember is to keep it simple. If your five year old can't explain it back to you, it's too complicated. 

 Second-most important? Change it up! These won't last forever. And that's ok. The lessons they're learning will last as will our system of working hard and reporting back at the end of the day.
What has worked for you and your family?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments :

Post a Comment